No more winter hair woes: Keep your luscious locks intact with these 9 hair-care tips  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
New Delhi: ‘Tis the season of merriment- as the holiday spirit soars, there’s a nip in the air, The bout of winter could bring with it a dry spell for your hair!
Rigorously following a hair care routine is essential to ensure your luscious locks remain healthy. Here are some essential tips to follow to avoid hair problems such as dandruff, hair fall, slow hair growth and others, especially during the winter season.
9 hair care tips to keep your tresses healthy during winters
- Moisturise & deep condition – Lower temperatures tend to cause extreme dryness in the hair; stick to a shampoo and conditioner with deep moisturisation properties to replenish your hair with the hydration it lacks. Try sticking to Sulfate-free products enriched with natural oils, floral extracts and Keratin!
- Why sulfate-free: While the sulfate in your shampoo creates a foamy lather giving the illusion of squeaky clean hair, it may in-fact be doing your hair a disservice. Sulfate strips the scalp of dirt and grime, however, can also take away the hair’s natural oils, leading it to become dry and lacklustre.
- For optimum moisture: A deep conditioner acts as a binding product, locking in nutrients that ensure one’s mane is nourished and healthy. Sealing in the cuticles and locking in moisture, correct cleansing and conditioning is an optimum requirement.
- Why keratin: Keratin is a protective protein- forming the hair, skin and nails- supplements of which can be incorporated in a treatment leading to hair strengthening.
- Don’t miss out on a scalp ritual- A healthy scalp leads to healthy hair! Indulging in a scalp ritual that energises, cleans, hydrates and has regenerative properties is the key to healthy hair! Excess sebum build-up, clogged hair follicles, grime, hair thinning can all be taken care of with a befitting routine suiting your hair. Find serums, oils and exfoliants comprising of ingredients that align well with your hair type- and pamper your scalp.
- Invest in a thermal protector cream – Excessive heat from hairdryers, curling and straightening irons is a huge contributor to frizzy dry hair. Thermal protection cream-based products protect your hair from heat damage and simultaneously harbour reparative properties which ensure your hair is moisturised and frizz-free!
- Do not wash your hair with extremely hot water – While a boiling hot shower may feel soothing, the consequences remain detrimental to the crown you wear- your hair! Resulting in an extra dry and flaky scalp, the extra hot water temperature will leave your locks brittle and breaking! Fret not, do not freeze yourself; warm water will do wonders for your hair, opt for a cozy temperature and save your hair health!
- Wash 2 times a week in winters- As your hair may already be facing dry spells, do not over wash! Let the natural oils released from the glands in your scalp work their magic- your hydrated hair will thank you!
- Use styling products that contain very less alcohol concentration- While everyone loves a good blow out- excessive heat causes extensive damage to the hair. There is good news here though, there is a range of products in the market utilising alcohols. The good that is known to help with moisturisation such as cetyl, stearyl, Cetearyl, myristyl, behenyl and lauryl alcohol! Use products containing these ingredients instead.
Give your hair some nourishing winter care, keep the festivities intact while flaunting your fabulous hair.
Disclaimer: The article is authored by Arpit Jain, founder, Maison D’ Auraine. Views expressed are personal.
Get the Latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now